The evening of Saturday 12th December 2015 was one of glitz and glamour as Africa celebrated Ugandan fashion’s biggest event at Kampala Serena hotel.
It was the third edition and the biggest since the awards were launched in 2013 by Brian Ahumuza of Abryanz Collection.
The CEO and his team promised a red carpet event never seen before and they delivered.
The awards received massive support from the population that turned up in big numbers, dressed to kill, to the delight of photographers and TV crews that had lined the 100m red carpet.
The show was also graced by guest from different parts of Africa; in the audience was boy band Sauti Sol from Kenya, Banky W, Swanky J and Tayo from Nigeria, Big Brother hotshots winner Idris from Tanzania, alongside other former BBA housemates Luis Manana from Namibian among others. East Africa’s top male model based in South Africa, Hannz Daxx, was also present to receive his award for Best East Africa model.
Kenyan socialite Vera Sidik aka Queen Vee was the event’s host alongside Gaetano Kagwa.
Locally, fashion designers, models, media personalities and all people that appreciate the industry were in attendance.
The team went all out to give the audience at Serena a great experience. Fennon Events was handed the big job and they did not disappoint.
The hall had three stages and screens. The main stage in the centre was used by the hosts and for giving out some awards. It also doubled as a runway. The side ones were used alternately for the award giving ceremonies.
While the production team had their house in order, the people lined up to give the awards were disappointing. Even with teleprompters facing all stages, most failed to deliver their lines.
The foreign stars did a better job. It must be the experience.
Flavia Tumusiime, who won best-dressed female media personality of the year, gave the best acceptance speech. The rest were forgettable, save for Princess Elizabeth Bagaya who shared her story in the modeling world upon receiving her Lifetime Style & Fashion Icon Achievement award.
The night would not have been complete without a fashion show; Lauma Lingerie opened with their latest collection. There was also a showcase by Abryanz Collection that showed the latest trends for fashion-forward men, before K-Rafael’s latest collection plus Pamela Musimenta’s.
Rwanda’s Moses Turahirwa of Moshions showcased his mix of red, white and black, flowing fabrics and unexpected cuts that brought a different dimension to the event.
When it came to musical performances, Jemimah Sanyu was the first on stage opening with an energetic performance with the queen dancers. Allan Toniks performed later, before Bebe Cool took over with Love You Everyday and Freedom in accordance to this year’s theme, Fashion is Freedom.
The show ended towards 1am with a performance from RnB star, Banky W.
The 2015 winners.
1. Male Continental style & fashion influencer.
Jerry swanky (Nigeria)
2. Female Continental style & fashion influencer.
Bonang Matheba (South Africa)
3. East Africa’s most stylish couple.
Zari and diamond(Tanzania)
4.Special Recognition in Fashion.
Aamito Stacie Queen (Uganda)
5.Most fashionable music video
Lelo Tompona by Leila Kayondo feat. Radio
6. Stylist of the year.
7.Best dressed male media personality of the year.
8. Best dressed female media personality of the year.
Flavia Tumusiime(NTV )
9. Best dressed male corporate personality/businessman
Joel Kamadi (NTV )
10. Best dressed female corporate personality/businesswoman
Jennifer Musisi – (KCCA)
11. Fashion brand of the year.
12. East African Female model of the year
Harieth Paul (Tanzania)
13. East African Male model of the year
14. Most stylish Male Ugandan in the Diaspora
Ddumba Adams(South Africa)
15. Most stylish Female Ugandan in the Diaspora
16. Male Fashionista of the year
17. Female Fashionista of the year
18. Lifetime Style & Fashion Icon Achievement Award.
Princess Elizabeth Bagaya
19. Most stylish Male Celebrity
20. Most stylish Female Celebrity
21. East African fashion designer of the year
22. Fashion designer of the year
23. Upcoming fashion designer of the year
24. Outstanding Male Model Uganda
25. Outstanding female model Uganda
26. Upcoming male model of the year
27. Upcoming female model of the year
28. Makeup artistes 2015
29. Best fashion writer/blogger of the year
Samson Baranga (www.fashion256.com)
30. Lifestyle fashion photographer of the year
31. Best fashion supporting brand/personality
32. Best fashion contributor in the Diaspora
Alecool Clothing (UK)
33. Best model management
Joram model management
34. Best hair stylist/hair dressers
Lords and Ladies
35. Best dressed Male politician